Curriculum: Lower Elementary
Montessori for students ages 6 through 9, first through third grades
In this three-year program, Lower Elementary students learn in multi-age settings. Their environment is filled with materials designed to create interest in learning. School days present many opportunities for 'big' works that involve collaboration and research.
Reading, mathematics, language, physical education, science, foreign language and cultural skills are developed within the Montessori curriculum. Music, art, technology and library skills are enhanced through weekly lessons.
in different media is offered and available on a daily basis.
- Art activities
are also integrated in the curriculum as a part of cultural studies.
- Instruction in
Spanish vocabulary building, simple conversation skills and beginning reading
lessons are offered twice a week.
- Supporting materials are available
to students on a daily basis.
science lessons are offered in the library once a week. During this time
students may check out books.
- Instruction includes movement to music, matching pitch, rhythm exercises, note reading, singing and identifying orchestral families.
- Music classes are presented on a weekly basis.
- Organized physical education classes are conducted on a weekly basis.
are available in class for all students.
- Research, word processing, spread
sheet and presentation applications are emphasized.